What is the Tech Lab and how is it used?
The tech lab at Curry Public Library is a space for imagineering, designing, conceptualizing, and light digital manufacturing. The tech lab features four light manufacturing tools including a laser cutter/engraver, 3D printer, 3D scanner, and a Cricut (vinyl and other materials) digital cutter. The lab is also supported by re-configurable work stations, in-floor and ceiling power, and laptop workstations with design and digital manufacturing software. The goal of the tech lab is to encourage and facilitate creative design and problem solving while teaching users how to go from an idea to practical working prototype. The tech lab coordinator is available by appointment to help you become comfortable and self-sufficient with using the four digital manufacturing tools or design software.
On this page:
Tech Lab Hours
Closed all major holidays
*Drop-in may not be available when a Sunday program is in session
Appointment Request Form+
The Curry Public Library Tech Lab accepts appointment requests for one-on-one assistance with the following:
1) Tech Lab equipment and tools.
2) Tech Lab supported software.
3) Personal device setup and configuration.
Descriptions of all lab equipment can be found below on this webpage. Please be aware that these appointments will take place during open lab times, and our staff may have to step away to help other patrons. To make an appointment, please fill out this online form.
Tech Lab Programs
Canva for Business: Bite-Sized Workshop for the Busy Owner
Crafting with Cricut: DIY Bookmarks for Book Lovers!
A Beginner’s Guide to Adobe Photoshop Session 5 of 5
“Stay Connected”: Connecting Your Phone to Wi-Fi
Introduction to Digital Photography
Tech Lab Programs: Workshop Documents
Tech Lab Programs (see above) include workshops hosted by the Tech Lab Staff. Documentation providing details on subjects discussed during the workshop sessions are provided below.
A Beginner’s Guide To Adobe Dreamweaver: PDF DOCUMENTS
• RESOURCES – Additional resources
• Session 1 – SCRIPT – The script for Session 1 of the workshop series
• HTML and CSS – A brief introduction to HTML and CSS
• OVERVIEW – An introduction to Dreamweaver features
• SITES – How to set up a Dreamweaver site
• CODE WRITING – Code writing options and features
• CODE_HINTS – Learn about Code Completion and Code Hinting
• CODE_FORMATTING – How to set Dreamweaver code format preferences
• CODE COLORING – Customize code colors and fonts on a per-element basis
• SNIPPETS – Save and re-use code snippets
• LIBRARY ITEMS – Save and re-use code blocks, assets, etc.
• PAGE TEMPLATES – Save and re-use page templates
• IMAGE OPTIMIZATION – Optimize photos for the web using Photoshop
• PREFERENCES – How to set Dreamweaver application options
A Beginner’s Guide To Adobe Photoshop: PDF DOCUMENTS
• RESOURCES – Additional Photoshop resource material (tutorials, etc.)
Session 1: Adobe Bridge and Adobe Camera Raw
• SCRIPT – Script for Session 1
• USING BRIDGE – Use Bridge to import and manage photos
• USING CAMERA RAW – Use Camera Raw to “develop” digital photos
Session 2: Basic Image Enhancement
• SCRIPT – Script for Session 2
• INTERFACE – Introduction to the Photoshop Workspace Interface
• TOOLBAR – Introduction to the Photoshop Workspace Toolbar
• PANELS – Introduction to the Photoshop Workspace Panels
• SCREEN MODES – Introduction to Photoshop Screen Modes
• LAYER BASICS – Introduction to Photoshop Layers
Session 3: Layer Masks – a deep dive
(Documents to be added soon.)
Session 4: Create a Work of Art
(Documents to be added soon.)
Session 5: Setting Up Photoshop
• SCRIPT – Script for Session 5
• SET UP BRIDGE – Configure Bridge workspace, preferences, etc.
• SET UP CAMERA RAW – Configure Camera Raw workspace, preferences, etc.
• SET UP PHOTOSHOP – Configure Photoshop workspace, preferences, etc.
Introduction To Digital Photography: PDF DOCUMENTS
• SCRIPT – Script for the Workshop Session (UPDATED 2/6/2023)
• COMMON TERMS – Become familiar with Common Photography Terms
• CAMERA MODES – Learn about The Exposure Triangle and Camera Modes
Tech Tools Identifier Guide
Tech Tools Spec Guides
Laser Cutter/ Engraver
Full Spectrum Muse Laser Cutter
45watt CO2 laser
Cutting space – 20″L x 12″W x 2″D (Max)
Materials Cut – Solid Wood (Hard & Soft), Plywood, Acrylic, HDPE, Fabrics, Leather
Materials Etching only – Glass, Painted Metals
Cost – $2 per hour
FlashForge Creator Pro
Build Plate Dimensions – (227mm L) x (148mm W) x (150mm H)
Materials Printed – ABS, and PLA as well as other more specialized materials
Enclosed Build Plate area
Fan Cooled Nozzle
Up to 120* C heated build plate
Cost – 25 cents per meter
Shining 3D Scanner
Scanning volume (8″L) x (8″W) x (8″H)
Easy Export to 3D file formats
Cutting Space – (12″L) x (12″W)
Materials – Common materials stocked at the Library include – Vinyl, Decal Vinyl, Construction Paper, Sticker Paper (visit this link to see the entire list of materials that the Cricut will cut —> https://help.cricut.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009504773-Which-materials-can-I-cut-with-my-Cricut-Explore-and-Maker-machine-
Multiple cutting heads to cut different materials
Lenovo Flex Laptops
10 laptops for in-lab work
Can be used as a typical laptop or a tablet
Has the Adobe Suite Software (Photoshop to Premiere Pro and After Effects)
3D Modeling Software
Digital Sketching/Painting possible with tablet pen
Six reconfigurable work tables
In-floor and ceiling hung power
Projector with HDMI ports for plug-and-play use
Gaomon Digital Pen Tablet
A rounded surface is integrated in the design of pen tablet M106K PRO, which enables the tablet to better fit the palm shape. Besides, 254×158.8mm workspace not only brings users a large space to draw, but also a more immersive drawing experience. The tablet has 12 hard and 16 soft hotkeys that provides users an easier access to key combinations that help to realize various functions and streamline the workflow. 266 contact points between the nib and tablet are captured per second to render the lines you create, and therefore smooth drawing experience is ensured without occurrence of lagging and interruption.
Heavy Duty 4432 Singer Sewing Machines
2 identical sewing machines (Heavy Duty 4432 Singer)
Built-In Needle Threader
Top Drop In Bobbin
Adjustable Stitch Length and width
Adjustable Presser Foot Pressure
Variable Needle Positions (3)
Epson SureColor 44” Wide-Format Inkjet Printer
model number P9570
Printing Technology:PrecisionCore MicroTFP 12-channel, drop-on-demand printheadMaximum Print Resolution:2400 x 1200 dpiPrint Speed:23.4″ x 33.1″ prints1
- Normal (BEO: off) 2:02
- Normal (BEO: on) 4:04
40.6″ x 57.3″ prints1
- Draft (BEO: off) 3:39
- Normal (BEO: off) 4:45
(BEO=Black Enhance Overcoat)Minimum Ink Droplet Size:Smallest droplet size: 3.5 picoliters; Variable Droplet Technology can produce up to three different sizes per lineNozzle Configuration:Color and monochrome heads; 9600 nozzles (800 nozzles x 12)
Elegoo Mars 2 Resin SLA Printer
With wash and cure station to clean and harden your prints
Mars 2 comes with a 6.08 inch monochrome LCD of 2K HD resolution and only takes 2 seconds per layer exposure to cure resin, which could significantly enhance your printing efficiency. Mono LCD has a much longer lifespan and stable performance during long term printing, thus saves your cost.
- Layer Thickness: 0.01-0.2mm
- Printing Speed: 30-50mm/h
- Z Axis Accuracy: 0.00125mm
- XY Resolution: 0.05mm(1620*2560)
- Build Volume: 5.08in(L)*3.15in(W)*5.90in(H) 129mm(L)*80mm(W)*150mm(H)
- Light Source: UV Integrated Light (wavelength 405nm)
For virtual background
Large format cutter with rotary blade
Can cut fabric, poster paper, and more.
Tech Lab Staff
Anna Marie Curtis
Technology Lab Assistant
Anna Marie facilitates weekly open hours in the technology lab. During these hours patrons are welcome to use library design tablets, a 3D scanner, a 3D printer, a vinyl cutter, a laser cutter, a large-format printer, sewing machines, and more.
Technology Lab Assistant
David facilitates weekly open hours in the technology lab. During these hours patrons are welcome to use library design tablets, a 3D scanner, a 3D printer, a vinyl cutter, a laser cutter, a large-format printer, sewing machines, and more.
Technology Lab Assistant
Andrew facilitates weekly open hours in the technology lab. During these hours patrons are welcome to use library design tablets, a 3D scanner, a 3D printer, a vinyl cutter, a laser cutter, a large-format printer, sewing machines, and more.